Pages

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

The Gun Control Slippery Slope - Mental Health



   Last night driving home
   This morning driving to work
   Today at lunch
The talk radio show hosts are repeating a meme that is scary as hell to me – we are going down a slippery slope in regards to the gun control issue.

The establishment of mental health databases

This is a case where generalization and over-generalization can not be avoided. When you use the term "mental health" - where can you draw the line?  How do you draw the line?

Let’s not focus on the guns
Guns don’t kill – people do
Let’s focus on the people – not the guns.

Let’s stop and think for a moment who might seek mental healthcare
A rape victim (adult and children)
A domestic abuse victim (adult and children)
A victim of bullying or harassment (adult and children)
A victim of a client crime(adult and children)
Someone seeking solace after the loss of a loved one (adult and children)
Someone with an eating disorder (adult and children)
Someone with financial issues (adult and children)
Someone who just lost their job
Someone in the midst of a debilitating disease (adult and children)
The list could go on and on


The establishment of mental health databases

 
Mental health (IMHO) is to help people.
Mental health services should not create a database used to discriminate against people.
Mental health services are there to help the patient create new coping skills and to make appropriate adjustment to their thinking and their life.

Now we will put further stigma on the people who seek mental health services as unfit?


The establishment of mental health databases


I am an advocate of mental health services – anyway, today I am – will not be if they establish a “mental health database”.

I believe that competent mental health practitioners (and there are some out there that are not competent) can be a great source of healing for people. 

I have used mental health practitioners in my life when I needed them – when a best friend was murdered, when my parents died, after an abusive relationship, when my best friend of 35 years died.  When I was going through my divorce my lawyer told me “ I am not your confidant, I am your lawyer.  If you want me to represent you, during the process I want you to be under the care of a mental health practitioner”; and I wanted that lawyer – so I saw a shrink during the divorce.  Every time – I was able to work through an issue that was causing me great pain and move on with my life.

Does that make me a danger to society?  Based on the conversations that are being had on the radio – evidently it might.

The establishment of mental health databases


Where would they draw the line on who would be in that “mental health database”.  Really – where?  All of the reasons that would cause a person to see  a mental health practitioner could deem you as a threat to society – all of them!

I knew this day was coming – I have never submitted my mental health appointments to my health carrier – I paid for them out of my own pocket – with cash.  I never claimed them on my tax return deductions.  

Once the database is established - who knows where the line will be drawn.
I won't and I won't  seek help from a mental health practitioner after that point.
Without the help of a competent mental health practitioner - I won't deal with my issue(s).
Would that make me a threat to society - maybe.

I knew this day would come.
And it evidently has.

No comments:

Post a Comment